Voice over jobs have been in high demand for years now, and this trend is only set to continue into 2023. With advancements in technology, there is an increased need for voice over artists across a range of commercial industries. In this article, we will discuss the current landscape of commercial voice over jobs in 2023.
What is a commercial voice over?
A commercial voice over is the use of a voice artist’s voice in advertisements, explainer videos, promotional videos, and other similar types of media content. The aim of a commercial voice over is to promote a product or service, educate the audience, or increase brand awareness. Commercial voice overs can be in the form of a narration, character voice, or a combination of both.
Types of commercial voice over jobs
- TV commercials: This is one of the most popular forms of commercial voice over jobs. TV commercials usually have a script that the voice artist has to read and record. The script can range from a few lines to a full-page script, depending on the length of the commercial.
- Radio commercials: Similar to TV commercials, radio commercials require voice over artists to read and record a script. The difference is that radio commercials usually have shorter scripts as they have to fit within a shorter time frame.
- Explainer videos: Explainer videos are used to explain a product or service to the audience. Voice over artists are required to read and record the script, and their voice is usually synced with animations or visuals.
- E-learning modules: E-learning modules are used to teach a specific skill or subject. Voice over artists are required to record the content, and their voice is usually synced with visuals.
- Video games: Video games require voice over artists to provide voice overs for characters in the game. The voice over artist has to bring the character to life and provide a voice that is suitable for the character.
- Animated movies: Animated movies require voice over artists to provide voice overs for the characters in the movie. The voice over artist has to bring the character to life and provide a voice that is suitable for the character.
- Podcasts: Podcasts require voice over artists to record the content. The voice artist has to have good diction and enunciation as podcasts are usually audio-only.
How to become a commercial voice over artist
- Training: Voice over artists need to have the right training to succeed in the industry. This can be through attending classes, workshops, or online courses.
- Recording equipment: Voice over artists need to have the right recording equipment to produce high-quality voice overs. This includes a microphone, a pop filter, a shock mount, and a soundproof room.
- Practice: Practice is essential for voice over artists. They need to practice their craft regularly to improve their skills.
- Creating a demo reel: A demo reel is a showcase of the voice over artist’s work. It is used to market their services to potential clients.
- Finding work: Voice over artists can find work through talent agencies, online marketplaces, or by networking.
Salary expectations for commercial voice over artists
The salary of a commercial voice over artist can vary depending on a number of factors such as the type of project, length of the script, and the experience of the artist. On average, a beginner commercial voice over artist can expect to earn $100-$250 for a 30-second TV or radio commercial. Experienced commercial voice over artists can earn upwards of $500 for a 30-second commercial.
Commercial voice over jobs are in high demand in 2023, and this trend is set to continue. Voice over artists can expect to find work in a range of industries, including TV commercials, radio commercials, explainer videos, e-learning modules, video games, animated movies