Acquiring a voice-over agent can be a crucial step in advancing your voice-over career. Voice-over agents can connect you with clients and help you negotiate contracts, ultimately leading to higher-paying jobs. Here are some steps to acquire and audition with voice-over agents in 2023.
- Research: Start by researching different voice-over agencies. Look at their websites and see what kind of clients they represent. Consider the agency’s reputation and whether they have a track record of successfully placing voice actors in high-profile projects. Also, research the agency’s submission guidelines to see if you fit the requirements.
- Build your demo reel: A demo reel is a collection of your best voice-over work. You will need to create a demo reel that showcases your voice and acting skills. The reel should be no longer than 60 seconds and include a range of different styles and genres, such as commercials, narrations, and character voices.
- Practice: Before you start auditioning, practice your skills. Take acting classes to improve your ability to bring a script to life. Practice recording yourself and listening back to identify areas for improvement. You may also want to consider working with a voice-over coach to fine-tune your technique.
- Submit your demo reel: Once you have your demo reel, you can submit it to the agencies that fit your criteria. Be sure to follow the submission guidelines carefully, as each agency may have different requirements. Some agencies may require a specific format, such as an MP3 or WAV file, while others may prefer a link to an online portfolio.
- Attend open auditions: Some agencies may hold open auditions, allowing you to audition in person. This can be an excellent opportunity to showcase your skills and make a personal connection with the agency. Be sure to bring your demo reel, a headshot, and a resume to the audition.
- Prepare for the audition: If you’re invited to audition, be sure to prepare ahead of time. Read the script carefully and consider the tone, style, and character of the piece. Practice recording yourself to get comfortable with the script, and be sure to bring a copy of the script to the audition.
- Be professional: When auditioning, be sure to present yourself professionally. Dress appropriately, arrive on time, and be polite and friendly to everyone you meet. Remember that the agency is looking for someone they can work with long-term, so it’s essential to make a good impression.
- Follow up: After the audition, be sure to follow up with the agency. Send a thank-you email or note, expressing your appreciation for the opportunity to audition. This can help keep you top of mind for future opportunities.
- Be patient: Finally, be patient. The process of acquiring and auditioning with voice-over agents can be lengthy, and it may take some time before you receive a response. Be persistent but respectful, and keep working on your skills in the meantime.
In conclusion, acquiring and auditioning with voice-over agents in 2023 can be a great way to advance your career. With research, preparation, and persistence, you can find an agent who can help you achieve your goals.